Re: discussion of LC comments on Extensions

Correction, I misread one of Lynne's proposals...

At 10:53 AM 4/28/03 -0600, Lofton Henderson wrote:
>[...]
>At 03:09 PM 4/25/03 -0400, Lynne Rosenthal wrote:
>[...]
>
>>(2) Add CP to require specs to specify how an implementation should
>>handle extensions it doesn't understand  e.g., ignore and continue.
>
>Disagree.  We do not have the domain expertise, across W3C technologies,
>to say what is the best response.  In some critical applications, HALT is
>the best response.  This should be the purview of the individual spec.  In
>fact, maybe the individual profile of the spec.  (E.g., what you want to
>do when you encounter such a situation in an air-traffic radar profile is
>probably different than what what you want to do in a blog-browsing profile.)

Sorry, misread this.  I'm a little leery of "specify", because of the
possibility that particular profiles (e.g., that might be written after
"Rec") might have need for different responses.  But I haven't thought it
through completely yet.

Maybe "address" instead of "specify"?  Maybe something with the sense of:
"specify a default, which may be pre-empted by the conformance requirements
of [...profiles or ...]"?

-Lofton.