profiles/modules/levels -- 1 of 2

Hre are some thoughts of mine, based on recent emails/minutes.

Pardon for verbosity.  Even splitting into two messages, it goes on.  But
... I'm trying to be completely clear and unambiguous in the examples I'm
citing here.

At 09:57 AM 4/18/03 +0200, Dominique Hazaël-Massieux wrote:
>Le ven 18/04/2003 à 02:16, Lofton Henderson a écrit :
> > At 09:46 AM 4/16/03 -0400, Mark Skall wrote:
> > >[...]
> > >DH: Profiles and levels are the same thing.
> > >
> > >LH: Disagree.  They are different but profiles can be levels.
> >
> > Oops, if that's what I said, then I mis-spoke.  It is backwards.  Should
> > be:  "Levels can be profiles.  Every levelled specification could be
> > written as profiles, but the converse is not true."
>
>FWIW, that's what I meant also by saying they are the same thing -
>namely, I don't think there is any benefit from distinguishing levels
>from profiles, since levels can easily be seen as profiles, and the only
>CP in the levels GL is one which is already present in the profiles GL.

I see profiles and levels as conceptually different.  Current definitions:

functional level
-----
"4. Definitions" -- a technology subset that is one of a hierarchy of
nested subsets, ranging from minimal or core functionality to full or
complete functionally.

profile
-----
"4. Definitions" -- a subset of a technology that is tailored to meet
specific functional requirements of a particular application community. A
profile may address a single technology; or, a profile can also group a set
of technologies (i.e., from different specifications) and define how they
operate together. Profiles may be based on hardware considerations
associated with target product classes, or they may be driven by other
functional requirements of their target communities.

As we have agreed, there is nothing in the definitions that *prohibits*
levels from being called profiles instead.  (Btw, IMO we will *not* succeed
in coming up with useful definitions that are tight enough to prohibit
misuse of the concept.  More in next message, but briefly ... I think we
can start to steer specifications towards a common, agreed usage of the
concepts with a combination of definitions, discussion, and examples.)

But I think there are examples where calling a leveled technology
"profiles" is awkward and inappropriate.  The best example (unfortunately)
comes from outside of W3C -- the ISO CGM standard.  Taking some liberties
with terminology, here is CGM and its evolution:

1987:  CGM level 1 published.
1989:  Level 2 added by addendum; CGM:1989 now defines levels 1 & 2.
1991:  Level 3 added by addendum: CGM:1991 now defines levels 1, 2, 3.
1994:  Level 4 added by addendum; CGM:1994 now defines levels 1-4.

The republished CGM:1999 defines 4 levels in the same document.  Each of
these levels is a progressive functional enrichment of the previous one,
*** targeted in aggregate at the sum of all principal CGM user
constituencies' requirements ***.

Throughout the years, there have also been a number of CGM profiles.  The
first (earliest) was a subset of CGM level 1, targeted at aerospace
usage.  The most recent (WebCGM) is a subset of level 4, in a sense that
needs to be carefully defined.  The subset actually cuts across each of the
4 levels, but doesn't include *all* of any particular level.  It includes
most (but not all) stuff from level 1, a lot (but not all) of additional
stuff from level 2, a lot (but not all) of additional stuff from level 3,
and most (but not all) of the additional stuff from level 4.

To me, it would be extremely awkward and unnatural to call the CGM levels
instead "profiles".  Profile 1, 2, 3, 4?  I don't think so.  Profile 1987,
1989, 1991, 1994?  Profile "full", "fuller", "fullest",
"ultra-full"?  Facetious aside, the concepts don't match.  The fact that
level 1 has several (subset) profiles defined makes it very awkward to
redefine level 1 itself to as a profile (note:  there could be a "full"
profile of level 1, just as there was the proper-subset MAP/TOP level-1
profile in the 80's).

[Just to beat the CGM to death, one could also consider using 4 modules to
define CGM:1999 -- the 1987 module; the 1989 module, defined as the l2-l1
addendum; the 1991 module, defined as the l3-l2 addendum; the 1994 module,
defined as the l4-l3 addendum.  However, these modules lack the "functional
coherence" criterion that appears in the definition of modules (see my next
message).  Each of the 4 "modules" in fact spans a wide breadth of
functionality, targeted at diverse needs and purposes.]

Back to W3C standards.

DOM.  Level 1, level 2, level 3.  Here again is a historical development,
and one is tempted to say "same as CGM" (but there is a subtle difference):

DOM1:1998 (2ndEd 2000)
DOM2:2000
DOM3:200x

Each level is a functional enrichment of the previous, like CGM.  Each
previous level still exists as a valid W3C recommendation, however the DOM2
specification does not normatively define the DOM1 subset (an
implementation uses the 'hasFeature(feature, version)' to determine the
level -- version=level).  By contrast, the specification for each level of
CGM said "supersedes and replaces" the previous specification, and
completely defined the whole set of levels (including rolling in errata, as
W3C Editions do).

So the subtle difference.  CGM is a classical leveled technology, where all
levels are defined in a single document.  DOM is effectively a leveled
technology, but it is defined by a collection of 3 W3C Recommendations --
DOM1, DOM2, DOM3.  (Note.  I'm ignoring the DOM modularization for
now.)  There is no single document that defines the 3 levels.  Therefore,
levels in DOM fails our definition (LC-66) of a DoV.

Calling DOM1, 2, 3 as "profiles" instead of "levels" would to me seem
awkward and inappropriate, in the same way and for the same reasons as CGM.

CSS is a similar case to DOM.  Calling CSS1, 2, 3 as "profiles" instead of
"levels" would to me seem awkward and inappropriate, in the same way and
for the same reasons as CGM.

SVG is an odd case.  I would consider the pending SVG 1.2 to be a "level 2"
to the original SVG 1.0 "level 1".  Note that SVG1.1 modularized the
functionality of 1.0, and defined 3 profiles:  full, basic, tiny.  Tiny is
targeted at the cell phone hardware sector (diverse applications).  Basic
is targeted at the PDA/handheld hardware sector (diverse
applications).  Full is targeted at the desktop/workstation hardware sector
(diverse applications).  IMO, it is muddy whether these are profiles or
levels.  To me they seem more like levels, because one of their definition
criteria is that each is a superset of the previous.  They do target
hardware sectors (like profiles), but not specific application
constituencies within those sectors (which profiles often do).

SpecGL.  A, AA, AAA could be considered classical levels.  Each subsumes
and includes the previous.  Okay, you could also call 'em profiles.  But
... where is the target application specificity that we imply for profiles?

Summary.  I think that levels and profiles are distinct concepts, although
W3C doesn't have many (any?) clean, classical definitions of leveled
technologies.

-Lofton.

p.s. Part 2 will follow soon.