Need for a Test Material License

From: Lynne Rosenthal <lynne.rosenthal@nist.gov>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 14:14:50 -0500
To: www-qa@w3.org
Hello All

Please comment on the need for W3C to establish a new licence, this one for
test materials (in addition to the existing Document or Software
licenses).  And, please provide specific scenarios why the Document license
is not considered satisfactory.

Background.
The QAWG is pursing the creation of a Test Materials license in W3C. We
have had discussions in the past regarding which license, Document or
Software, was more applicable to test materials.  Although we concluded
that the Document license was better, it new license for Test Materials
would be even better. The rationale for a TM license includes: Test
materials are specific documents provided for a specific, defined and
limited purpose.  The license to use and copy them can therefore be
specific, defined and limited.  The W3C Software and Document licenses are
more general in nature and do not provide for the precise license
grant.  These licenses were not intended to cover the conveyance of rights
effected by the proposed "Notice and License for Test Materials" [1]
This proposed license was informally provided to W3C.  Since the
development of a new license is not a trivial matter, we need to show why
the current licenses are not sufficient and why we need a new test
materials license.

So... What do you think?  Do we need a Test Materials License and why?

regards
Lynne

[1] http://www.w3.org/QA/WG/2002/11/W3CTestLicenseDRAFT.html