Re: Testable assertion tagging for W3C specifications

From: David Marston/Cambridge/IBM <david_marston@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 11:28:54 -0400
To: www-qa@w3.org
Cc: "Scott Boag/Cambridge/IBM" <scott_boag@us.ibm.com>

Alex Rousskov seems to have exposed another issue inadvertantly:

>Cut-and-pasting is what we do today. That is not enough for my
>applications because:
>  - [...other reasons omitted...]
>  - we want to provide reverse index where a reader can
>    read the specs and get "one-click" access to
>    test cases that correspond to the sentences she is reading

And how exactly do you propose to do that? Would your proposed
solution work if the test cases were written by multiple authors?
How much burden is being imposed on those people who wish to cite
the specs?

Based on your comments up to this point in time, the only way I
see that you could accomplish this is by checking whether there
is any byte overlap between the byte ranges in the citations and
whatever byte range has been highlighted by "the reader" in the
above scenario. That sounds like a slow process.
.................David Marston