Re: Testable assertion tagging for W3C specifications

From: David Marston/Cambridge/IBM <david_marston@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 23:04:01 -0400
To: www-qa@w3.org
Cc: "Scott Boag/Cambridge/IBM" <scott_boag@us.ibm.com>

Alex Rousskov writes:
>I believe we can come up with a simple addressing scheme if we limit
>the problem domain to, say, the extraction of single pieces from XML
>documents.

I think we need to recognize a smallish taxonomy. For example, the
"productions" used in some Recommendations should be marked as such.
Likewise, standalone testable sentences might be separately tagged
from sentences which are testable but have constraints on their
applicability which can be derived from a larger context. For example,
a spec may have several sequential paragraphs about how general XML is
to be handled, followed by several sequential paragraphs about XHTML,
then HTML, etc. The tags for testable sentences within those regions
should at least indicate that the sentences are not universal.

Another situation is the presentation of normative instructions in
tabular form, such as the notorious table of data-type conversions.
In effect, each cell of the table is a testable assertion, even if it
isn't a standalone expression in text.
.................David Marston