Re: Exit Criteria (CR/PR) Interoperability report

Al Gilman wrote:

[sni[

> Since people differ in whether they approach the topic with their mind oriented
> in a timeline view or a technology maturity view, we need to get the integrated
> product/process policy clear with language that touches on both views.
>
> So, where it says
>

>>>the development of conformance materials as part of their CR-exit and
>>>PR-entrance criteria."
>>>

> .. which is ambiguous as to whether the criteria for CR-exit and PR-entrance
> are one and the same or different things, based on how one parses the English
> (which is ambiguous in this regard); it is yet better to say something touching
> both views but making the logic clear, such as
>
> "...the development of materials providing clear evidence that their
> PR-entrance criteria have been met, as required for a successful exit from CR
> status."
>
> It is, after all, possible to exit from CR without entering PR, by formally
> abandoning the pursuit of the PR entrance criteria.  Or sending it back to the
> Working Group or a new Working Group to develop something against new
> requirements, having discovered that the original charter was fatally flawed.
> When a document fails to gain PR, it is not necessarily any failing of the
> Working Group.  It can be the process working as it should.

According to the Process Doc, it's not possible to exit CR without
either entering WD or PR. There are no in-between states. All state
changes are achieved through messages (in this case to the AC). You
may have finished getting implementation experience, edited the
CR document to prepare it for PR, talked to the Director about
advancing to PR, and more, but until the Director sends a
state-change message to the AC, you are still in CR. At any phase,
there is the "Abandon" option, in which case the spec should be
published as a Note.

- Ian

Tel:                     +1 718 260-9447