Re: Exit Criteria (CR/PR) Interoperability report

At 15:29 +0100 2002-02-25, Ian B. Jacobs wrote:
>See my comments below preceded by "IJ:".
>
>Karl Dubost wrote:
>
>>[NotaBene: First surprising thing, there's no mention of Exit
>>Criteria in the whole process document, but Entrance Criteria.
>>Something to fix?]
>

>IJ: This is not a bug. The Process Document only talks about
>entrance criteria for phase transitions. You never ask the Director
>"Are we done with CR?", you ask the Director "Can I advance to PR?"
>One of the things the Director looks at is whether there is
>sufficient implementation experience for the specification. Since
>WGs can skip CR entirely with sufficient implementation experience
>(though maybe they shouldn't), then it makes more sense to talk
>about PR entrance criteria.

KD: A word to add to the W3C glossary: Entrance Criteria and in the
definition, we may explain that we should not use exit criteria.

>>"In an effort to meet these suggestions and address the
>>implementation requirements of the Process Document, some Working
>>Groups have included the development of conformance materials as
>>part of their CR-exit and PR-entrance criteria."
>

>IJ: Please delete "CR-exit and" from this sentence. It adds
>confusion if people think that CR-exit and PR-entrance are different
>are essentially the same, but it's easier to model using entrance
>criteria.

KD: To add to issues list for the QA WG. Remove CR-exit vocabulary.

>>Maybe we need a new checkpoint. Because it's one of the formal
>>thing written in the Process document but not yet clearly
>>explained. :)
>

>IJ: I think it's explained very clearly. Read it without thinking
>about CR exit and I trust you will find that the process holds
>together. I don't think the description is currently broken, I think
>that people are used to talking about "exit" criteria even though
>the Process Document does not.

KD: Ok. The process is clear on the notion of Entrance. There's still
a need for the checkpoint to explain how to do it. A checkpoint +
Techniques.

Thanks Ian for your comments and to have pointed out the abuse on language.

--
Karl Dubost / W3C - Conformance Manager
           http://www.w3.org/QA/

      --- Be Strict To Be Cool! ---