Re: conformance vs. compliance

From: Olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 08:23:14 +0900
To: www-qa@w3.org

On Fri, Aug 09, 2002, Alex Rousskov wrote:

> And, perhaps, add a checkpoint discouraging marketing of conformant
> implementations so that "conformance" does not get abused in a few
> years?
>
> 	Bad marketing folks SHOULD use "Compliant with W3C
> 	standards" terminology, while the good people should use
> 	"Conformant with W3C recommendations". [Priority3]

The QA glossary is not a dictionary or an authoritative source on how
to use terms, but a glossary for QA documents at W3C, including the QA
framework. If the people authoring/editing these documents want to use
one synonym and not use another, why would that be a problem?

Other people in other context may use other terms if they want, I don't
see what this has to do with the opinion of the QA WG/IG at W3C.

--
Olivier Thereaux - W3C
http://www.w3.org/People/olivier | http://yoda.zoy.org