Re: Quality Tips suggestion: Use <h1> for titles

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@measurement-factory.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 11:28:05 -0600 (MDT)
To: Aaron Swartz <aswartz@upclink.com>
cc: www-qa@w3.org
On Sun, 16 Sep 2001, Aaron Swartz wrote:

> On Sunday, September 16, 2001, at 11:37  AM, Alex Rousskov wrote:
>
> > 	Often, webmasters have to use <h2> for first-level titles.
>
> Why do you "have to"? Is it an absolute necessity that all your
> users see the title smaller? Does your page not use <font> tags?
> I find it hard to believe that this would ever be needed.

Using <h2> is not absolute necessity. Using <h1> is not either. This
is not a question of absolute necessity. This is a question of what a
person writing/generating HTML should use. Both <h1> and <h2> are bad
(for different reasons discussed on this thread).

If I write/generate relatively simple pages that do not need CSS to
look good, I will not introduce CSS just to make picky HTML parsers
happier.

If I write/generate pages that have to rely on CSS for other reasons,
your suggestion is perfectly valid.

My point is that CSS is not acceptable as a "general recommended
workaround". Otherwise, you should just recommend to always use XML +
CSS (or similar) instead of HTML.

Alex.