Re: Quality Tips suggestion: Use <h1> for titles

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@measurement-factory.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 10:37:19 -0600 (MDT)
To: Aaron Swartz <aswartz@upclink.com>
cc: www-qa@w3.org
On Sat, 15 Sep 2001, Aaron Swartz wrote:

> Often, webmasters will use an
> <tt>&lt;h2&gt;</tt> element instead, to make the heading
> smaller. This is incorrect, <a
> href="http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/">Cascading Style Sheets</a>
> should be used to create this effect.</p>

In my world, many browsers either do not support CSS, support it
incorrectly, or have that support turned off. I also do not have
resources or desire to generate different HTML for different browsers;
nor that approach works reliably. For these reasons, I have to ignore
virtually any "use CSS instead" advice.

My counter-advice would be:

	Often, webmasters have to use <h2> for first-level titles.
	When processing HTML documents, do not assume that the first
	heading level is <h1>.

$0.02,

Alex.