Re: One reason why certification is important

On Fri, 26 Oct 2001, Lofton Henderson wrote:

> >         "In CertificateForTheBuck lab tests, Internet Explorer has
> >         passed all our certification criteria, once again
> >         demonstrating MS leadership in supporting W3C standards".
>
> By the way, IMO, the above hypothetical quote starts to border on violation
> of some existing W3C PR rules, doesn't it?  W3C members are required to get
> W3C approval of press statements that invoke the W3C name, aren't
> they?

I do not know. However, the above imaginary quote is no different
(IMHO) from the actual quote in the original e-mail that started this
thread. Both quotes refer to W3C:

     [Bob Visse, MSN's director of marketing] said earlier Thursday
     that the message would be shown to people using "browsers that
     we know don't support (W3C) standards or that we can't insure
     will get a great experience for the customer."

I more-or-less agree with the rest of your comment. Certification can
be a good thing in some environments, especially if the certification
procedure is fair, accessible, and of high quality.

Alex.