Re: One reason why certification is important

On Fri, 26 Oct 2001, Rob Lanphier wrote:

> Difficult to say.  Certainly, a certification program isn't going
> to make bad journalism suddenly become good journalism.  However,
> if someone was going to check the veracity of the implication, who
> would they go to? The W3C has made it clear that they will not
> comment on the quality (or lack thereof) of member products. If
> the certification program was well-known enough (through marketing
> or other means), then MS would have been inviting CNet to get a
> quote from that certification group.

MS PR is not stupid though. They will not use the same language once
certification is in place:

	"We blocked browser X from accessing our Web site because X
	does not support Passport protocol, preventing our customers
	from getting a great and secure experience at our Web site".

In reality, the site will probably not be really blocked. It just
will not "work" for X.

> A certification mark would give the rest of the community a tool
> for making users of MS products feel uncomfortable (at least until
> MS got certified).

I bet MS products will be ones of the first group to get certified [by
a MS-sponsored certification company, for example]:

	"In CertificateForTheBuck lab tests, Internet Explorer has
	passed all our certification criteria, once again
	demonstrating MS leadership in supporting W3C standards".

Alex.