[www-qa] Re: Conformance and Implementations

From: <David_Marston@lotus.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 21:04:44 -0400
To: www-qa@w3.org

Dimitris wrote:
>3. It is not clear who (normatively speaking) does the best job in
>interpreting the specifcation in question ((which is why the DOM TS ML
>Schema is generated directly from the DOM specs). Is it the WG who
>wrote the spec? Is it a trusted third party? Is it the member companies?
>I believe this to be the most serious problem.

I agree completely. Specifically, a third party can do a better job than
the WG by trying to deduce test assertions from the written normative
documents (at CR stage or later). Inevitably, the WG reaches a consensus
or "understanding" on some fine points that the Recommendation does not
convey. An attempt to write test cases can expose such gaps just as an
attempt to develop a working implementation would do.
.................David Marston