Re: .html? File Extensions Perhaps Not So Harmful

I spent Friday and Saturday at a meeting dealing with TeleRehabilitation.

This combines data-networking-based extension of business processes with
medical strictness about how one assesses appropriateness for intended use.

In that context, I perceive a "dissemination plan" policy issue in this
thread.

The policy issue is rather broader than 'how' one assesses quality.

But I would like to drop in the following tidbits from that world.

They disinguish between "effectiveness" as observed under laboratory
conditions
and "efficacity" which has to be based on use under field conditions; in the
home or in the hospital or in the doctor's office, depending on the
service-delivery context intended.

And they talk about suitability for the intended use in terms of "ecological
validity."

In telerehabilitation, when the technology-push advocates want to claim
success
based on mere effectiveness, there are the clinicians already established in
place to push back and demand controlled studies of efficacity before putting
something new into the standard canon of practice.

While I was, at the meeting, telling the clinical community that some of their
'received' standards of evidence are too confining for the TeleRehabilitation
domain of applications, it is equally true that technologists, and W3C are
dominated by this group, underestimate the requirements for qualifying
technology as appropriate for its intended use and could benefit by taking a
few process pages from the medical book on this point.

* on the thread-initial question:

If the protocol doesn't return a .svg from the server when the server has both
and the client requests a .gif with an 'accept' heading that prefers .svg,
then
the protocol is broken.  The server should know when it has eqivalents for the
.gif URI and what they are.  That's a basic accessibility requirement.
[WCAG2]  That suggests an architecture trouble report leading up to a
re-engineering process for HTTP, perhaps.  Or at least current-problems input
to CC/PP.

[40X:  Be strict in what you emit and lax in what you accept.]

It is not a quality process for _us_ in QA to try to resolve the policy
issue;
we can help by mining the medical practice lore to nominate evaluation methods
to determine what the deployment status of 'Vary' should be at this time.  But
to develop a quality product, W3C needs to be rippling these issues to include
the communities who would have to implement any fix.

Al