Re: Over 1500 invalid pages at www.w3.org

On Sat, 13 Oct 2001, Karl Dubost wrote:

> At 23:41 +0100 2001-10-12, Nick Kew wrote:
> >As I write, Site Valet reports 1564 invalid pages at www.w3.org.
> >
> >I know Gerald tells us some of them are historic and won't change,
> >but surely that can't apply to everything.  Does anyone care?
> >http://valet.webthing.com/intranet/report/pages?valid=Report&markup=0&url=www.w3.org
>

> thanks for this analysis Nick...
>
> 1564 pages on... ??? Gerald how many webpages we have on our website ;)

(btw - 1564 is now 1580 - either something has changed or it's still
spidering new material).

Site Valet reports 5322 HTML pages at W3C, so that's nearly 30% invalid.

> We are fixing every week new pages. Every pages that are under /TR/
> will not be changed.
>
> >The same tool also reports 699 pages containing broken links.
> >http://valet.webthing.com/intranet/report/pages?linksreport=Report&pagelinks=400&url=www.w3.org
>

> For broken links, it's even more difficult. You mean broken links
> from W3C to W3C. Or broken links from W3C to outside.

Both.  The simple report I cited doesn't make that distinction - though
you can use the forms at the Site Valet to formulate a query limited
to internal or external links.  Unfortunately the detailed reports are
currently much slower than the summary ones I cited URLs for.

> Cool URIs don't change, but we can't control people who are breaking links.

True.  Though the right tools can help with that :-)

--
Nick Kew

Site Valet - the essential service for anyone with a website.
<URL:http://valet.webthing.com/>