Re: Conformance and Implementations

On Tue, 9 Oct 2001, Rob Lanphier wrote:

> The field is not level at all.  A large vendor (e.g. MegaCorp),
> with a large marketing budget, can completely redefine what a
> particular recommendation is (e.g. FooML) is in the mind of the
> consumer, regardless of what it is in the recommendations from the
> W3C.  That leaves any smaller vendor who is trying to play by the
> rules of the W3C at a disadvantage in trying to appeal to the
> consumer that's been trained by MegaCorp.

IMHO, this has little to do with compliance. Large vendors will always
be able to influence public perception, no matter what. After all, a
large vendor can even influence public perception of W3C as a whole!
While a real threat, it is not the subject of this thread (as I
understand it).

I think we are talking about increasing the number of compliant (to a
known degree) implementations and not about what vendors with money
can do. They can do pretty much anything as far as [short-term?]
public perception is concerned.

Alex.