Re: CSS examples of umbrella specifications?

From: Dominique HazaŽl-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 18:54:05 +0200
To: www-qa-wg@w3.org
Le vendredi 29 avril 2005 ŗ 10:45 -0400, Karl Dubost a ťcrit :
> Le 28 avr. 2005, ŗ 17:28, boland@nist.gov a ťcrit :
> > Are the following examples of umbrella specifications?
> > CSS Print Profile , CSS Mobile Profile 1.0, CSS TV Profile 1.0
> They are profiles but not Umbrella specifications in my understanding
> of it.

As for myself, I tend to think of them as Umbrella specifications.
Taking the definition we currently have for this concept in ViS, we
"Some specifications, denoted below as umbrella specifications, create
all the requirements of the technology they define by simply grouping
requirements of existing specifications in a well-defined manner."

I think that's exactly what these profiles do... More generally, I think
most profiles are umbrella specifications (e.g. SVG profiles, XForms
Basic profile, XHTML + SVG + MathML Profile, XHTML Basic) according to
this definition.

I think I was the one proposing this definition, and it may not reflect
the original intent behind "umbrella specifications", but if so, we need
to fix it.

>  An Umbrella specification would be a "CSS 3.0" document which
> ties everything together, explaining the intent of the technology as a
> whole, what are the dependencies, what are the different profiles (with
> the possibility of new profiles and how to create them, with which
> constraints), etc, and  to define the conformance or to explain how the
> conformance works in the different documents.

Karl, any way to find a definition that would match this but not the
other profiles? FWIW, I think defining a concept on which we rely so
little (i.e. I don't think we say anything new or interesting about
them) seems risky to me. Maybe we should proceed the other way around:
what is it that we want to convey about what type of specifications?