From: www-qa-wg-request@w3.org <www-qa-wg-request@w3.org>
To: www-qa-wg@w3.org <www-qa-wg@w3.org>
Sent: Fri Mar 11 17:07:53 2005
Subject: Re: bug #1041 [Re:... Conformance is not a yes/no proposition]

Some suggestions....

>An ICS provides a concise view of a specification's conformance model.

Slightly amending Karl's suggestion, I like:
An ICS provides a concise view of what an implementation provides and its
relationship to the conformance model.

>View the ICS as a template, where its organization, format and content can
provide implementers and users a quick overview of the specification's
features, subdivisions of the technology, conformance requirements, etc.

Maybe say the "blank ICS" is the template, then follow the above with this
sentence:
View the filled-in ICS as an implementer's statement of conformance.

>It can be especially valuable as a statement of conformance, where
implementers indicate which mandatory and optional features they implement
and document the presence of extensions. Once completed by an implementer it
can be used as part of the conformance claim.

After inserting that other sentence, the above just needs small editorial
tweaks to blend in.

>Additionally, an ICS can be used to identify the subset of a test suite
that would be applicable to the implementation to be tested: this is useful
first when establishing an interoperability report, and then when setting up
a conformance testing program.

Fine as-is, though it can also be used by a buyer to ensure they are
choosing an implementation with the correct set of optional features.
.................David Marston