Re: Umbrella Specifications Discussion

From: Tim Boland <frederick.boland@nist.gov>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 09:48:37 -0400
To: www-qa-wg@w3.org
Several points to continue discussion follow:

POINT 1: In the proposed definition of "umbrella specification", is there a
definition of what constitutes a "technology" or "complete technology"
in the context of this definition?

The WCAG2.0 Glossary[1] has a current definition of "technology" as a:

       markup or programming language
       application Programming Interface (API)
       or communication protocol

Would this definition be sufficient for our purposes, or do we need
to this definition?     As a general rule, I think it is good to re-use
definitions where appropriate and possible..

POINT 2: The WCAG WG site [2] lists a collection of documents as:
Introduction to
WCAG2.0 WD Documents, the WCAG2.0 WD,  General Techniques
for WCAG2.0, HTML Techniques for WCAG2.0, CSS Techniques for WCAG2.0,
and Client-Side Scripting Techniques for WCAG2.0.   The documents are all
related to one another in a coherent fashion, although published as separate

How would such a collection relate to the proposed definition of "umbrella
(if at all)?  Although not a single "document" in a literal sense, the
collection as a whole
would seem to provide introduction, enumerate sibling documents and their
and define different kinds of conformance requirements.    If one were to
these documents in order and create a single document from such a
would that document be an umbrella specification under this definition?

POINT 3: As a possible example of technical requirements being defined in
an external document, the "reworking" of ATAG2.0 is normatively referencing
technical requirements.

Thanks and best wishes
Tim Boland NIST

[1]: http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#glossary