Re: First stab at LC issues analysis

From: Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 11:15:23 -0500
To: 'www-qa-wg@w3.org' <www-qa-wg@w3.org>

Le 26 janv. 2005, à 04:38, Dominique Hazaël-Massieux a écrit :
> #1052 "Classes of product" unclear and dangerous
> LH and DM commented on this, thinking it was maybe now unclear, but
> certainly not dangerous; I think a good way to understand the XML Core
> WG concerns would be to come up with a list of classes of products for
> xml:id and see with them if this would indeed be too restrictive.
> In any case, the confusion shows that we need to better explain what we
> mean by classes of products, maybe with examples less "obvious" as the
> ones currently in SpecGL (although Ruby looks very much similar to the
> xml:id case).
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-qaframe-spec-20041122/#what-conform

For information

[[[
scheme with 5 different kinds of conformance tests of W3C specs,
organized in 2 families:
	1.  	conformance of Web content
	◦ 	1 syntactic (validator)
	◦ 	testinput: content (file in html/xml/css/smil/svg/rdf...)
	◦ 	testengine: grammar parser
	◦ 	testmode: webform|run, automatic
	◦ 	ex: validator.w3.org,  jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator
	◦ 	2 semantic (evaluator)
	◦ 	testinput: content (file in html/xml/css/smil/svg/rdf...)
	◦ 	testengine: evaluator with builtin semantics
	◦ 	testmode: webform|run, semi-automatic
	◦ 	ex: cast.org/bobby, validator.w3.org/checklink
	2.  	conformance of tools/products (test suite)
	◦ 	3 content-driven
	◦ 	testinput: tool (browser)
	◦ 	testengine: content samples + logic
	◦ 	testmode: webforms, manual
	◦ 	ex: w3.org/Style/CSS/Test, w3.org/math/testsuite
	◦ 	4 interface scenario
	◦ 	testinput: tool (browser, convertor, editor)
	◦ 	testengine: intructions + logic
	◦ 	testmode: run, manual
	◦ 	ex:  w3.org/WAI/AU/WD-ATAG10-EVAL-20000913/
	◦ 	5 program-based
	◦ 	testinput: runtime library
	◦ 	testengine: content samples + runtime test
	◦ 	testmode: run, auto
	◦ 	ex: C DOM API,  jigsaw.w3.org/HTTP/
]]] - http://www.w3.org/QA/Taxonomy.html

[[[
The following is a list of the most common classes of products for W3C
specifications:
	• 	content (of type, meaning, and format as defined in the
specification),
	• 	producer of content (may be divided into initiators and modifiers),
	• 	player (read-only consumer, conveys content in non- XML way),
	• 	consumer in a one-way pipeline,
	• 	responding agent (e.g., server) of API (consumer and  producer),
	• 	processor (consumer of its vocabulary/instructions),
	• 	module that hosts the processor,
	• 	producer of instructions/commands to processor,
	• 	profile derived from the specification's Rules for Profiles,
	• 	specification (guidelines).
]]] -
http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-spec-variability-20040830/#spec-cat-cop

W3C Conformance Manager