Re: [SpecGL-impl] xml:id Last Call

Lofton,

I have read again the xml:id specification and again I find everything,
but maybe I have my own way of reading things.

I would like to know if in xml:id specification you want something
like, which will be an abstract of the prose of the specification?

Suggestion:
[[[
* Classes of Products
	here is the list of classes of products which should implement this
specification.
	* XML Processors
	* DTD and XML Schemas (non required but encouraged)
	* Author of XML documents (non required but encouraged)
]]]

Le 02 janv. 2005, à 20:53, Lofton Henderson a écrit :
> Karl writes that xml:id satisfies it...
>
>> 2.2.A: Identify who or what will implement the specification.
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-qaframe-spec-20041122/#implement-
>> principle
>> YES/NO/Not Applicable: Explain why?
>>         YES
>>         http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-xml-id-20041109/#intro
>>         In the introduction explain that the xml:id specification
>> gives a
>> uniform mechanism for XML processors and XML document to create
>> identifiers for XML Schema and DTD.
>
> This Requirement derived from the earlier Checkpoint about "identify
> Classes of Product".  CoP were items for which the specification
> defines conformance requirements.

Reminder: the techniques are one way to achieve things but not the only
way.

Techniques of 2.2.A - SpecGL , 22 Nov 2004
[[[
	• 	Give the classes of products in the specification:
	1.  	 Think about all the types of products or services that will
implement this technology, group those that are similar and/or
basically achieve the same purpose, and determine the generic name for
the group.  This would be the class of product.
	2.  	List these classes of products in the specification.
	3.  	Describe them as part of the scope.
]]] -

http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-xml-id-20041109/#intro

[[[A mechanism allowing unique element identifiers to be recognized by
all conformant XML processors, whether they validate or not, is
desirable in making XML sub-resource linking robust.]]]

1st class of product: XML Processors

[[[An additional problem is that DTD-based and XML Schema-based
identifiers are exposed through different conceptual mechanisms - the
[attribute type] infoset property, and the [type definition] family of
properties respectively. A uniform mechanism for recognizing
identifiers is desirable.

This specification provides such a mechanism: it describes the
semantics of xml:id attributes.]]]

2nd class of product: DTD and XML Schemas

[[[Implementors are encouraged to support xml:id processing and to make
ID assignment the default behavior of their processors.]]]

Who: Implementers of processors.

http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-xml-id-20041109/#syntax

[[[Authors of XML documents are encouraged to name their ID attributes
"xml:id" to increase the interoperability of these identifiers on the
Web.]]]

Who: Author of XML documents. Though it's not mandatory just a
suggestion.

W3C Conformance Manager
*** Be Strict To Be Cool ***