Re: AI-20050131-1

Hi Richard,

Le lundi 07 février 2005 à 06:42 +0000, richard.t.kennedy@boeing.com a
écrit :
> They may be reading much more into the definition of the term “class”
> than was intended by the QA WG. Many programming disciplines have formal
> definitions of classes. My reading of the definition of “Class of
> Products” in the glossary strikes me as a non-technical (i.e., informal)
> use of the term class.
>
> So their objection might be satisfied by redefining “Class of Products”
> as the “generic name for the group of products or services to which it
> has
> been determined the specification applies, (i.e., target of the
> specification). A specification may identify several classes of
> products.”

This change does indeed clarify what we mean by classes of products; I
support its inclusion in the Spec. I'd rather not change the terminology
"class of product" at this point, since we've been advertising it quite
a bit in the past years and seems pretty good to me (maybe "class of
implementations" would have been a better choice back then, but I still
think we should avoid changing the terminology now).

With regard to amending the "deprecated features" wrt classes of
products, I hope we can keep it as is, since I think the current form is
more useful than the one without references to classes of product; I
guess we'll know better when we get back to the XML Core WG with this
proposal.

Thanks!

Dom
W3C/ERCIM