Re: [draft] Comments from the QA WG on WebArch 2nd LC (extensibility)

At 06:54 PM 9/13/2004 +0200, Dominique Hazaël-Massieux wrote:
>[...]
>* section 4.3.2 reads "Experience suggests that the long term benefits
>of extensibility generally outweigh the costs"; since several QA WG
>participants have had a contrary experiences, the QA WG would be
>interested to know about specific examples of this experience.

I would phrase our comment a little differently.  Their statement implies a
cost-benefit judgement, and the "generally outweighs" seems to imply that
the cost-benefit judgement applies across the whole spectrum of (W3C)
standards.

So what I would like to see is the cost-benefit data from which their
conclusion is drawn.  When we say, "...specific examples of this
experience", that could be read (by them) as asking for specific
affirmative examples that support their statement.  Whereas I'd like to
know how they arrive at the general conclusion, which implies looking at a
lot of data/cases and a lot of weighing of positive and negative experience.

How about, "...the QA WG would be interested to know about the data (cases
and examples) and method by which this conclusion was reached."