W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-qa-wg@w3.org > October 2004

Re: Your comments on Character Model Fundamentals [LC054, LC055, LC056, LC057, LC058]

From: Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 10:48:30 -0400
Message-Id: <C892B34B-1C5D-11D9-9371-0003934BEBF0@w3.org>
Cc: <www-i18n-comments@w3.org>, <www-qa-wg@w3.org>
To: "Richard Ishida" <ishida@w3.org>


Le 06 oct. 2004, à 06:17, Richard Ishida a écrit :
> You can see the comments you submitted, grouped together, at  
> http://www.w3.org/International/Group/2004/charmod1-lc/ 
> SortByOriginator.html#LC054
> (You can jump to a specific comment in the table by adding its ID to  
> the end of the URI.)
> PLEASE REVIEW the decisions for the following comments and reply to us  
> within the next two weeks at mailto:www-i18n-comments@w3.org (copying  
> w3c-i18n-ig@w3.org) to say whether you are satisfied with the decision  
> taken.
>         LC054, LC055, LC056, LC057, LC058

> As for your point of "If the software implements only this language  
> because it's a specific use for only this language", yes, such a  
> software would not conform to the character model. From the viewpoint  
> of the character model, this would be on purpose; in the age of the  
> World Wide Web, it is a bad idea to create software that can handle  
> only one language, and it is a bad idea to create software that has  
> language-related issues hard-coded when it can easily be made  
> configurable.

Well, I know that's a bad idea. But I don't know if a French Tax Form  
has handle multiple languages. :) maybe yes.

But I'm not argueing comment accepted.


> LC055
> http://www.w3.org/International/Group/2004/charmod1-lc/ 
> SortByOriginator.html#LC055
> Decision: Partially accepted Our reply is basically the same as that  
> for LC054.
>
> We replaced "MUST NOT assume" with "MUST NOT require or depend on". We  
> note that this is testable with very simple examples, some of which  
> can be found in the spec itself. Implementations dealing with only a  
> single language may not conform to the character model, and that is by  
> design; it's the goal of the character model to make sure that specs  
> and software can deal with as much languages as possible.

Agreed.


> LC056
> http://www.w3.org/International/Group/2004/charmod1-lc/ 
> SortByOriginator.html#LC056
> Decision: Partially accepted Our reply is basically the same as that  
> for LC054.
>
> We replaced "MUST NOT assume" with "MUST NOT require or depend on". We  
> note that this is testable with very simple examples, some of which  
> can be found in the spec itself. Implementations dealing with only a  
> single language may not conform to the character model, and that is by  
> design; it's the goal of the character model to make sure that specs  
> and software can deal with as much languages as possible.

Agreed

> LC057
> http://www.w3.org/International/Group/2004/charmod1-lc/ 
> SortByOriginator.html#LC057
> Decision: Rejected You write: ===> What's happening if you implement  
> all western languages but not asian because the context of  
> applications do not make it necessary. Do I still have to implement  
> everything? If not how can I be conformant?
>
> As we have already explained in our responses to LC054-56 that the  
> goal of the character model is to cover as many languages/scripts/  
> characters as possible. On the WWW, you never know what input you get.  
> If an implementation blows up just because it is unable to do anything  
> with Asian characters, that would be very bad. Please note that we do  
> not require any particular sort order for any character, simply  
> sorting 'unknown' characters by codepoint would be okay.

Hmm Agreed :) except that will a japanese person use a French Tax Form?  
Maybe yes. :)

But ok. I'll accept.

> LC058
> http://www.w3.org/International/Group/2004/charmod1-lc/ 
> SortByOriginator.html#LC058
> Decision: Partially accepted Our reply is basically the same as that  
> for LC054.
>
> We replaced "MUST NOT assume" with "MUST NOT require or depend on". We  
> note that this is testable with very simple examples, some of which  
> can be found in the spec itself. Implementations dealing with only a  
> single language may not conform to the character model, and that is by  
> design; it's the goal of the character model to make sure that specs  
> and software can deal with as much languages as possible.

Agreed.


-- 
Karl Dubost - http://www.w3.org/People/karl/
W3C Conformance Manager
*** Be Strict To Be Cool ***
Received on Tuesday, 12 October 2004 14:48:32 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0 + w3c-0.30 : Thursday, 9 June 2005 12:13:18 GMT