Re: Your comments on Character Model Fundamentals [LC054, LC055, LC056, LC057, LC058]

Le 06 oct. 2004, à 06:17, Richard Ishida a écrit :
> You can see the comments you submitted, grouped together, at
> http://www.w3.org/International/Group/2004/charmod1-lc/
> SortByOriginator.html#LC054
> (You can jump to a specific comment in the table by adding its ID to
> the end of the URI.)
> PLEASE REVIEW the decisions for the following comments and reply to us
> within the next two weeks at mailto:www-i18n-comments@w3.org (copying
> w3c-i18n-ig@w3.org) to say whether you are satisfied with the decision
> taken.
>         LC054, LC055, LC056, LC057, LC058

> As for your point of "If the software implements only this language
> because it's a specific use for only this language", yes, such a
> software would not conform to the character model. From the viewpoint
> of the character model, this would be on purpose; in the age of the
> World Wide Web, it is a bad idea to create software that can handle
> only one language, and it is a bad idea to create software that has
> language-related issues hard-coded when it can easily be made
> configurable.

Well, I know that's a bad idea. But I don't know if a French Tax Form
has handle multiple languages. :) maybe yes.

But I'm not argueing comment accepted.

> LC055
> http://www.w3.org/International/Group/2004/charmod1-lc/
> SortByOriginator.html#LC055
> Decision: Partially accepted Our reply is basically the same as that
> for LC054.
>
> We replaced "MUST NOT assume" with "MUST NOT require or depend on". We
> note that this is testable with very simple examples, some of which
> can be found in the spec itself. Implementations dealing with only a
> single language may not conform to the character model, and that is by
> design; it's the goal of the character model to make sure that specs
> and software can deal with as much languages as possible.

Agreed.

> LC056
> http://www.w3.org/International/Group/2004/charmod1-lc/
> SortByOriginator.html#LC056
> Decision: Partially accepted Our reply is basically the same as that
> for LC054.
>
> We replaced "MUST NOT assume" with "MUST NOT require or depend on". We
> note that this is testable with very simple examples, some of which
> can be found in the spec itself. Implementations dealing with only a
> single language may not conform to the character model, and that is by
> design; it's the goal of the character model to make sure that specs
> and software can deal with as much languages as possible.

Agreed

> LC057
> http://www.w3.org/International/Group/2004/charmod1-lc/
> SortByOriginator.html#LC057
> Decision: Rejected You write: ===> What's happening if you implement
> all western languages but not asian because the context of
> applications do not make it necessary. Do I still have to implement
> everything? If not how can I be conformant?
>
> As we have already explained in our responses to LC054-56 that the
> goal of the character model is to cover as many languages/scripts/
> characters as possible. On the WWW, you never know what input you get.
> If an implementation blows up just because it is unable to do anything
> with Asian characters, that would be very bad. Please note that we do
> not require any particular sort order for any character, simply
> sorting 'unknown' characters by codepoint would be okay.

Hmm Agreed :) except that will a japanese person use a French Tax Form?
Maybe yes. :)

But ok. I'll accept.

> LC058
> http://www.w3.org/International/Group/2004/charmod1-lc/
> SortByOriginator.html#LC058
> Decision: Partially accepted Our reply is basically the same as that
> for LC054.
>
> We replaced "MUST NOT assume" with "MUST NOT require or depend on". We
> note that this is testable with very simple examples, some of which
> can be found in the spec itself. Implementations dealing with only a
> single language may not conform to the character model, and that is by
> design; it's the goal of the character model to make sure that specs
> and software can deal with as much languages as possible.

Agreed.

W3C Conformance Manager
*** Be Strict To Be Cool ***