Re: [SpecGL Draft] D1: Indicate which subdivisions are mandatory

From: Lynne Rosenthal <lynne.rosenthal@nist.gov>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 09:28:10 -0400
To: Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>
Cc: www-qa-wg@w3.org

Thanks for adding the actual technique to the conditions to consider.

>>  Techniques
>>  Consider the following conditions:
>>       atomicity of the subdivisions
>         Create a graph of all subdivisions to show their atomicity
>>       any mandatory subdivisions
>         Label in this graph the ones which are mandatory
>>       dependencies among subdivisions: e.g., modules that require and
>>build on functionally related modules, modules that require modules from
>>other functional areas
>         Show the dependencies among subdivisions, explicit the
> relationships, e.g., modules that require and build on functionally
> related modules, modules that require modules from other functional areas
>>       constraints against combined occurrence of particular pairs of
>         Create a list of the constraints against....
>>       other conditions or constraints beyond these.
>         Show all other conditions...
>Question: When all of these techniques have been done, how the good
>practice "Indicate which subdivisions are mandatory for conformance" is
>         A list of only mandatory subdivisions
>         A keyword ala "Required for Conformance" of Profile "X" in each
> subdivision?

Yes.  I realized that I left this out.  This is good. I also need to relate
this to the conformance clause - putting something in the conformance clause.

For example in SpecGL Lite, how will we express the dependencies of this D1
module and how does it impact the conformance section.

>>  Examples:
>>  Content can be required to conform to one of the subdivisions (e.g.,
>> profiles)  or it may be conformant to the specification independently of
>> a subdivision.  The question arises for a producer (of content): is it
>> conforming if it generates content that is otherwise valid but does not
>> conform to the subdivision.
>         Did you think about something in particular?

No.  I took this from the old SpecGL