Re: [SpecGL Draft] D1 Subdivide the technology

Hi Lynne,

Cool :)))

Le 20 juil. 2004, à 14:43, Lynne Rosenthal a écrit :
>  This seemed to get too long, but its always easier to cut out
> words.... This is the first Good Practice, which if you don't do, then
> you skip over the rest of the Principles and Good Practices. These
> subsequent Principles and GP will be sent later (I still have to write
> them).

A kind of dependencies? :)

>  Comments?
>
> D1 Subdivide
>  Subdividing the technology should be done carefully  it is not always
> a good idea.  Be smart when dividing the technology so that it is not
> excessive and provides a positive impact on implementation and
> interoperability.  Too many divisions complicates conformance and can
> hinder interoperability by increasing the chances of conflict with
> other aspects of the specification (e.g., other subdivisions).
> Requirements may be in multiple places and/or duplicative, making them
> more difficult to find and increasing the probability of conflict and
> misinterpretation.  Subdividing the technology increases the
> likelihood that implementations will implement different subdivisions
> and thus not interoperate

The first thought which comes to my mind is what some persons will
reply. Something on the line:
	"Yes, but subdividing a Spec which will not be a big fat cat and that
nobody will even try to implement at all. Example, look at the SVG 1.0
Specification... etc."
So I would say something that will show the costs and the benefits.:

"""
Same introduction

* Costs:
	Too many divisions complicates conformance and can hinder
interoperability by increasing the chances of conflict with other
aspects of the specification (e.g., other subdivisions).  Requirements
may be in multiple places and/or duplicative, making them more
difficult to find and increasing the probability of conflict and
misinterpretation.  Subdividing the technology increases the likelihood
that implementations will implement different subdivisions and thus not
interoperate

* Benefits
	Subdividing the technology in small units will be easier to implement
individually. It will help to organize the structure of the technology.
"""

Though I guess the GPs are about the benefits but in the intro, it
might be good to have as small reminder.

>  Good Practice: Subdivide the technology to foster implementation
>

>  Examples:
>  Modules: example?

	XHTML Modularization and SMIL gives good examples.

> STOP: Only proceed if you did the above Good Practice.  Else, skip the
> rest of this section.

:))) Lynne++

W3C Conformance Manager
*** Be Strict To Be Cool ***