Re: [SpecGL Draft] D4 Define how to handle each deprecated feature

From: Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 10:17:44 -0400
To: www-qa-wg@w3.org

Le 29 juin 2004, ŗ 05:26, Dominique HazaŽl-Massieux a ťcrit :
>> Good Practice:
>> 	Define how to handle each deprecated feature
>> Meaning:
>> 	A feature is usually defined when there is a better mechanism inside
>> the technology, or another technology that could be used, to achieve
>> the same effect (with often more possibilities).
>
> I don't understand this defintion; could you propose another wording or
> explain with more details what you mean?

Yes, I have read it again, and it's badly written and my explanation is
missing one point that both Lynne and you have expressed.

        1              2                3
    Old Spec   ->  Current Spec   (-> Future Spec?)
    Feature    ->   Deprecated    (-> Obsolete)

SpecGL addresses the step 2.

Deprecated means:
	a. that the feature is at risk for future versions -> obsolete
	b. that a better way of achieving the same thing exists, for instance.
		-> img, applet -> object
		-> center -> align="center" -> css: "text-align: center". (here it's
another technology which is used to replace the feature).
	c. that it was a bad idea all together and there will not be any
replacement for it.

Lynne's definition is better.

>>  It is important to
>> define the behavior of the different kind of products when they have
>> read or produce deprecated features.
>
> Either use "classes of products" or "implementations"; I think
> introducing this new wording (kind of products) is going to be
> confusing.

Agreed.

Dom, Thanks for the rest of comments. Agreed.

W3C Conformance Manager
*** Be Strict To Be Cool ***