Re: DRAFT minutes of 20040209 QAWG telecon

One small clarification, prefixed by [dd].

Hope this clarifies a bit.

Best

/Dimitris

On Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004, at 19:15 Europe/Athens, Lofton Henderson
wrote:

> [...]
>
> -- First draft f2f agenda is posted (agenda ref [2])
>
> -- No discussion of WWW2004 this time... put it on next agenda.
>
> DD presenting DOM Test Methodology.  Agenda reference,
>
> [1] http://www.ontologicon.com/NIST/3_3.htm
>
> DD: Thanks to NIST for sponsoring the work.
>
> LH: Note that this is early deliverable on list on QAWG home page
> (currently, 2nd bulletted deliverable).  Report will be linked from
> there.
>
> DD:  Referring to reference [1], going through and summarizing
> (summary not
> minuted -- see reference [1]).
>
> DD: Relationship to QAWG work:  DOM TS only partially covers QAWG test
> guidelines,
> because TestGL came (much) later.  Ops and Spec came later as well and
> so those
> were not fully implemented.
>
> DD:  Motivation for automation -- spend less time writing TCs.
> Minimize time
> to produce TS.  (See more at [1]).
>
> DD:  History:  2001 NIST released initial DOM (Level 1) TS which
> tested only JS
> binding only.  200+ working tests.
>
> DD: Issues:  Tests for each language binding?  Solution:  Abstract TS
> ML that
> could be used to generate each binding's tests.  Took 6 months.
> Design choice:
> Pseudo language?  No, mimic DOM language for TS ML.  Reasons:  to not
> write
> an abstract language for an abstract language.
>
> Questions/discussion about DOMTS ML versus generic TCDL:
>
> AT:  TC markup specific to DOM.  Couldn't use a generic TCDL?
> DD:  Could have done it in theory, but that would be using markup
> to describe IDL.  In DOM TS work, recognized two kinds of specs
> -- ones like DOM can use automation like DOMTS.  I'm uncertain
> whether XMLspec can be used for each specification in W3C.
> The other kind of spec lends itself with more difficulty to automated
> processes (where you express functionality in prose, for example
> about user interaction).
>
> AT:  Is there any applicability for a generic TCDL?
> DD:  I don't think we should put energy into a generic TCDL -- not
> worth
> the payoff. The simple metadata needs can be achieved other ways like
> CVS.
> LH:  His DOMTS ML is two things:  automatically derivable pseudo-code
> for
> the test itself; plus TCDL-like metadata (that may involve some manual
> intervention).
>
> Questions/discussion about automation and many-to-one (TC-to-interface)
> generation:
>
> DD:  Many-to-one TC to TA possible.  Specifically, TC can point to TA
> (in spec), spec does not point. on level above TC, aggregation can
> lead to
> table (or similar) resolving pointers from TC to TA (and, reversely,
> can
> give picture of what TA get tested by what TC).

[dd] Should be rephrased to

Many-to-one TC to TA possible. Specifically, TC can point to TA (in the
specification), TA in the specification does not point to TC. On the
level above TC, aggregation can generate a table (or similar) resolving
pointers from TC to TA (and, reversely, it can give a picture of which
TA gets tested by what TC).