Re: SpecLite: extensions

From: Lofton Henderson <lofton@rockynet.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 13:50:18 -0600
To: Lynne Rosenthal <lynne.rosenthal@nist.gov>
Cc: www-qa-wg@w3.org
Catching up on non-QAH business, I have some comments.  Here is the first...

At 10:15 AM 4/14/2004 -0400, Lynne Rosenthal wrote:
>The following is an expansion of text for the Extension section of
>SpecLite.
>[...]
>------------------------------
>GLOSSARY Definitions:
>Extension:  The ability to incorporate functionality beyond what is
>defined in the specification.   The ability to extend or enhance the
>specification.
>Extensible:  The ability of a specification to accept extensions in a
>define way.  A specification is extensible if it provides a mechanism for
>any party to create extensions
>Strict Conformance: conformance of an implementation that employs only the
>requirements and/or functionality defined in the specification and no more
>(i.e., no extensions to the specification are implemented).

I think the definition of extension is wrong here (also on the Wiki) -- it
actually reads like a variation on the definition of "extensibility".  Here
is what Karl wrote [1], which I like:

[[
* Extensibility is the ability of a technology to accept extensions in
a defined way. If the extensibility mechanism is not defined, the
technology is not extensible.
* Extension is an additional feature to a technology which gives the
possibility to extend the behaviour of the technology.
]]

-Lofton.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-qa/2004Mar/0034.html