Re: profiles/modules/levels -- 2 of 2

Regarding XQuery conformance requirements, Lofton wrote:
>I must be misunderstanding.  I thought you said in your prose (above the
>diagram) that having the Static Typing Module requires that you have the
>Schema Import Module, and having the latter requires that you also have
>the Basic Module.

>I did not think that you meant, Static Typic contains Schema Import, and
>Schema Import contains Basic. *This* would be a layered relationship....

They're criss-crossing the verbiage: "XQuery defines a basic conformance
level named Basic XQuery, and two optional features called the Schema
Import Feature and the Static Typing Feature."

I think the best practice is for them to decide the relationships they
want, treating the "features" as what we call modules, then switch to
the levels terminology only if all can be arranged in a hierarchy.
They may be trying to say a processor can conform at one of three
levels, in which case conformance at the Static Typing level "contains"
all the others, even though Static Typing when treated as a module
("feature") does not contain Schema Import.

In those immortal words: I hope that makes clear the unclarity of it.
.................David Marston