LC-101 -- remove CP9.6

From: Lofton Henderson <lofton@rockynet.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2003 11:57:10 -0700
To: www-qa-wg@w3.org

Ref: http://www.w3.org/QA/WG/lc-issues#x101

I strongly disagree with the proposal to remove CP9.6 [1].

Originator states:

>Extensions may be allowed in order to permit new functionality to be
>introduced and tested prior to standardization.

I agree with this.

>There may not be any alternatives (interoperable or otherwise) to the use
>of a particular extension, and in particular, it is completely impossible
>for any specification that permits extensions to supply a workaround to
>the use of every uninvented extension imaginable.

This also strikes me as true.

However, it has this implication:  such content (lacking interoperable
alternatives) is "interoperability impaired".

>In other words, no specification that allows extensions can conform at
>priority three, ever.

If a specification allows "interoperability impaired" content to be
considered to be equally conformant as "interoperable" content, I don't
think that specification should qualify for the highest (AAA) SpecGL
conformance level.  SpecGL conformance is a (progressive) measure of such
aspects as clarity, interoperability, testability, etc.

Recommended resolution:  Keep CP 9.6.  (However, see also issue LC-81,
about fine tuning it somewhat.)