RE: Reminder: XMLP WG "Attachment Feature" LC deadline in 8 days

From: Kirill Gavrylyuk <kirillg@microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 23:48:12 -0700
To: <www-qa-wg@w3.org>
Cc: <qa-chairs@w3.org>, "Lofton Henderson" <lofton@rockynet.com>
Hi all,

Here is what I intend to send tomorrow 2pm (PDT) as our review of the
SOAP 1.2 Attachment feature.

Let me know if you want to change/add anything. I understand that this
is a short notice. So if you think the notice is too short, please say
so. Then I will send it anyway but with the disclaimer: "has not been
endorsed or reviewed by QA WG".

Note that this must go to the public xmlp-comment list.

To: xmlp-comments@w3.org

Cc: David Fallside

Hi all,

Here is the feedback from QA WG on the SOAP 1.2 Attachment:

Overall the document [1] describes a compound SOAP structure, an
abstract feature that would require a choice of the specific
transport/encapsulation protocol bindings in order to be implemented.
Therefore an implementation of this specifications is a specification in
it's turn - a binding specification.

In our review we attempted to measure the testability of the binding
specifications that implement [1] implied by [1].

We find that the following could be added/changed in [1] in order to
improve testability of the binding specifications that implement [1]:

1. Conformance clause should be added that would

-          describe the subject of conformance (a binding specification)

-          summarizes what does it mean to conform to this specification

-          List dependencies: describe what other parts of SOAP 1.2
specification/other specifications a binding must conform to in order to
conform to this specification

2. Prefix att is not defined. QNames of the form att:* are used, but
prefix att is not associated with any namespace. Would be good to
explicitly associate it in the prose with the URI

3. Sec 2 - Change "can" to "may" in the "Protocol binding specifications
can use this URI"  to conform to RFC 2119. Unless there is a good
reason, we suggest to even change it to "should", so that there is not
ambiguity on whether the specific binding uses the soap1.2 attachment

4. Section 6: We suggest to explicitly reference the equivalence rules
used for the URIs when the message parts are identified. (We believe
editors meant the URI equivalence rules specified in the URI spec [3]).
The fact that XML namespace spec uses different equivalence rules for
namespace URIs then the original URI spec causes a confusion among
developers on which rules to use in each case of the URIs use.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/soap12-af/

[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/soap12-part1/

[3] http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt