Re: proposed Test Materials license

On Thursday 14 November 2002 01:15 am, Kirill Gavrylyuk wrote:
> 1. When the Document License does not work for publishing test
> Materials? An example would be any downloadable test materials package
> that would require modification (even just platform/implementation
> adjustments) in order to be used for a product testing.
> 	An existing example is a W3C DOM test suite, which is published
> under the modified W3C Software License and cannot be published under
> Document License.

Yes, the DOM Test  Suite has been successfully built and distributed under
the W3C Software License -- as has the XML Test Suite. If necessary, the
ability to alter the test suite (e.g., build language specific bindings) is
a reason to choose the Software License, but folks might want to permit
maximum flexibility (e.g., the XML Test Suite are just instances and don't
require any modifications for use I don't think.)

> 2. Why the Software License does not work for Test Materials? Using GPL
> compatible licenses like the W3C Software License for test materials
> without restricting the scope of use
> -	limits availability of the published test materials for certain
> vendors
> -	prevents certain potential contributors from submitting test
> materials to the W3C test suite.

This is what I'm trying to understand. How does it limit availability and
prevent contributions?