Re: [Lofton's] TOC drafting assignment.

From: David Marston/Cambridge/IBM <david_marston@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 12:26:22 -0500
To: www-qa-wg@w3.org

I think I foresee a refactoring in the navigation checkpoints. Lofton
suggested:

>Checkpoint 13.4:  Provide a fast way to find conformance information

>To fulfill this checkpoint, a specification MUST provide at least one
>navigation mechanism that allows the reader to locate all
>conformance-related information that is relevant to the specification.
>The mechanism MUST minimally locate:  the conformance clause...
>Rationale:...A table of contents entry is one way to accomplish this.

Actually, I think the desirable relationship is that the checkpoint is
fulfilled by having a TOC entry for just the conformance section, which
contains the conformance clause (and thus the policy) and navigational
pointers to all the other conformance info.

>In addition to the minimal required set above, other conformance
>related information such as the ICS, location of test suites, etc, may
>be helpful to users and implementers.

To which I would add: any such conformance-related information that is
present is subject to the provisions of this checkpoint.
.................David Marston