A few comments on SpecGL

From: David Marston/Cambridge/IBM <david_marston@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 17:27:31 -0400
To: www-qa-wg@w3.org

Ck 4.3: I think there is such a thing as a mandatory module, and there
may well be cases where the implementation of two modules requires that
a third also be implemented. Whether one module can require another is
more controversial, since you get into the territory covered by levels.
How about this verbiage? "If modules are chosen, indicate any mandatory
modules, dependencies among modules, or constraints against combined
implementation of particular pairs of modules." I'm not entirely sold
on this myself, since I think modules should be, well, modular. But I
could also see modules as the most flexible and universal way to divide

Ck 5.1: Use of profiles and levels together is tricky. I think that the
profiles drive the spec, and you could have a Level 1 for each profile,
just as you could for each module.

GL 8: A new checkpoint to comment on interop? I'm opposed right now,
because I think the questionnaire or pro forma addresses this well

Ck 10.1: Change the word "clause" to something else? I'd favor a
change. I think this came from the NIST people, so maybe one of them
can comment further.

Ck 11.1: Avoid overloading the word "levels"? A big +1 from me!
.................David Marston