From: Lofton Henderson [mailto:lofton@rockynet.com]
Sent: Sunday, December 15, 2002 11:11 AM
To: www-qa-wg@w3.org
Subject: license for submitted TM

(With this message, I close this AI...)

A-2002-10-21-3  Lofton  to get concrete proposal for issue 59 for next
telecon.
=====

Issue 59:  Should there be a global (W3C-standard) license for submitted

test materials? (Originator:  Andrew).  [1]

I don't have a proposal for such a license.  I suspect that W3C Legal
would
not be enthusiastic to try to define such a license, that would be
acceptable to all companies that might submit TM and to all WGs.

I suggest that we close the issue with the answer "No".  We do have
criteria under which TM are distributed by W3C (freely available,
...).  And we do have proposals for licenses (and an OpsGL checkpoint)
for
publication of TM by W3C. (The proposal for the new TM license is
currently
stalled).  See [2], [3].

So I propose that our resolution of this issue is that it be left up to
the
WGs or whoever receives the test materials.  They should not (MUST NOT)
accept TM under terms which prohibit W3C publication under suitable
licenses and terms.

This resolution would NOT, in itself, affect OpsGL CP5.3, "Define the
licenses applicable to submitted test materials. [Priority 1]" [4].  The

resolution only says that we shouldn't attempt to define a W3C-wide
global
license.  CP5.3 still would require each WG to specify at least one
license
acceptable to it.

Does anyone want to revisit *that* requirement?

-Lofton.

[1] http://www.w3.org/QA/WG/qawg-issues-html#x59
[2] http://www.w3.org/QA/WG/qawg-issues-html#x49
[3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-qa-wg/2002Nov/0044.html