Conformance Disclaimer

From: Mark Skall <mark.skall@nist.gov>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 12:24:22 -0500
To: www-qa-wg@w3.org

The conformance disclaimer currently states "Failing to achieve conformance
degree of at least A-conforming does not mean that the subject
specification is necessarily deficient to its intended purposes, nor does
it mean that it is an unacceptable basis for the development of quality
test materials."

I believe this undermines our attempt to get WGs, recs and test suites to
adhere to, at least Level A.  In fact, it may be in direct contradiction to
this goal.  Please document an issue to revisit the wording for the
disclaimer.   The options would be: 1)leave disclaimer as is; 2)reword this
part of the disclaimer; 3)eliminate this part of the disclaimer

Mark Skall
Chief, Software Diagnostics and Conformance Testing Division
Information Technology Laboratory
National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
100 Bureau Drive, Stop 8970
Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8970

Voice: 301-975-3262
Fax:   301-590-9174