Re: [SpecGL] Consistency in the vocabulary

Karl,

This is a nice survey of the current usage of versions, levels, editions,
revisions, etc.  Do you think we should integrate or somehow reference it
in Spec Extech?  Or develop it into a quick QA Note?  Or...?

Further comments...

At 02:53 PM 8/13/02 -0400, Karl Dubost wrote:

>It's very hard to define sometimes a kind of consistency in the spec of
>W3C because the way before are versionning, calling, updating the spec is
>very different.
>
>I wonder if we should propose clear numbering and naming scheme.

There should be better consistency.  But should QA do it, or Comm, or TAG,
or a collaboration, or ...?  Note this from the Manual of Style, section 9.1.1:

"The name of your document in the document head and on the technical
reports index [TR] will read as follows. Optional elements are in square
brackets.

Title [(ACRONYM)] ["Level" n] ["Specification"][: Subtitle] ["Module"]
[(nth "Edition")] ["Version" Version_Number]

Try not to invent a new naming convention. Capitalize title words following
U.S. usage."

It doesn't say any more about how any of the terms "Level", "Module",
"Edition", "Version" should be
used.  (From:  http://www.w3.org/2001/06/manual/#title)

>Also, if we should define in the QA Framework (Core??? ;) )

My first thought is that we should talk to Comm about it.  This seems to
fall somewhere between SpecGL, pubrules, and Manual of Style.

-Lofton.