Re: Modules and levels in a specification

Le mar 06/08/2002 à 17:52, Andrew Thackrah a écrit :
>   re SpecGL modules/levels/profiles
>
>   I'm not clear on the difference between a level and a spec version - are
>   they different?

Yes, they are. Level implies (as the spec GL describes it) a hierarchy
of features: anything available in DOM Level 1 is also available in DOM
Level 2. DOM Level 2 completes DOM Level 1, but is backward compatible
with it.

Versionning implies no such promises regarding backward compatibility,
nor regarding hierarchical inclusions. Basically, different versions are
not supposed to have anything in common, except probably the target of
the spec (that is, as I understand it).

>   Also I currently regard profiles to be a form of product categorization
>   rather than an aid to technical specification.
>
> [...]
>
> Also is there not a danger that product classification (if that what
> profiles are) is treading
> on the toes of vendors and maybe even inhibiting creativity in the
> area of product
> devlopment?

One of the goals of the QA Framework is to promote interoperability,
which is one of the big gain from standardization. If you just say "up
to the vendors to use this or this module", what will you say to the
content producers?

Dom
W3C/INRIA
mailto:dom@w3.org