Re: A few comments on SpecGL

QAWG --

At 05:27 PM 7/30/02 -0400, David Marston/Cambridge/IBM wrote:
>[...]
>Ck 10.1: Change the word "clause" to something else? I'd favor a
>change. I think this came from the NIST people, so maybe one of them
>can comment further.

Any comments from NIST people?

http://www.w3.org/QA/Glossary defines conformance clause as:  "Part of a
specification which defines the requirements that must be satisfied to
claim conformance to part of the specification." is the definition of
conformance clause.

I think our current SpecGL draft is better in avoiding the implication that
conformance clause is a discrete document section: "A conformance clause is
a part or collection of parts of a specification that defines the
requirements, criteria, or conditions to be satisfied by an implementation
or application in order to claim conformance"

We can either live the term and just disambiguate it -- CK10.1 already
contains this new sentence, "As used in this checkpoint, "clause" does not
necessarily imply a specific single document section or location (see next
checkpoint)"

Or we can search for a better phrase to replace "conformance clause".

What do you think?

>Ck 11.1: Avoid overloading the word "levels"? A big +1 from me!
>.................David Marston

CK11.1:  "Identify and define all conformance levels or designations."

Candidates for a replacement word for "levels":

degrees
flavors
types
categories
thingies
foobars
...other?...

Alternative approach:

Section 8.2.1 of [1] says:  "A specification may differentiate conformance
claims by designating different degrees of conformance in order to apply
and group requirements according to profiles or [functional] levels or to
indicate the permissibility of extensions.  When a conformance claim is
linked to functionality, impact, and/or incremental degrees of
implementation, the term conformance level is often used to indicate the
varying degrees of conformance."

So maybe it would suffice to make sure that "level" always has a qualifier
in front of it, "functional" or "conformance", and make sure that each is
clearly defined.  (And convert the "@@" comment right after [2] into proper
prose.)

What do you think?

-Lofton.