Re: Proposal on forming of W3C Test Group (action item A-2002-03-1-3)

Hi Kirill

Thanks for your comments. As I noted, this was a primer, it is certain
to change as more comments are made. My replies inline:

On Thursday, April 4, 2002, at 04:44 , Kirill Gavrylyuk wrote:

> Hi, Dimitris!
> Have 2 initial questions/suggestions:
> - Why should this be independent group? If you're saying that
> ...it is important that there is a group that can take over after the
> current QA WG finishes the more process-oriented work.....
> Isn't it what the original QA WG was chartered for? Why not just have
> the Testing Group as a task force inside QA WG?

[dd] Given the current QA WG setup, I believe it is best to separate
process issues (like specification guidelines, conformance criteria and
so forth) from design and implementation issues. I am not that
interested in formal aspects, but I think the jobs of the two groups are
different in principal; overlapping at some instances, surely, but one
is biased toward theory, and the other toward practice, if you want. In
order to facilitate information exhcange between other interested
parties (other WGs) I think it's simpler to go directly to a WG instead
of going to a task force set up in a WG (in my experience, at least).

Of course, and especially given that formal aspects are not that
important after all, setting up a task force may be another option to
consider. I lean toward separating the two, though, especially insofar
as enhancing the two group's (overlapping but not identical) goals is
concerned.

> - I'd empathize somewhere in the proposal what are the specific
> deliverables of the Testing Group and what is the expected term of
> functioning. You're saying "to aid in producing test materials" and "to
> help in producing specification authoring tools", but I'd like it to
> have more finite term and measurable goals.

[dd] Great suggestion, thanks. I left it out because I wanted the WG to
consider even the basic draft, but I will incorporate this information
in the next iteration.