Re: [fsl-discuss] Re: Tim Berners-Lee Approves Patent Policy

From: John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 13:56:59 -0400
To: tom poe <tompoe@ableweb.net>
Cc: seth.johnson@RealMeasures.dyndns.org, C-FIT_Community@RealMeasures.dyndns.org, C-FIT_Release_Community@RealMeasures.dyndns.org, fairuse-discuss@nyfairuse.org, fsl-discuss@alt.org, patents@aful.org, www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org, "DMCA_Discuss@lists.microshaft.org" <DMCA_Discuss@lists.microshaft.org>, DMCA-Activists@gnu.org, djweitzner@w3.org, dave@farber.net

tom poe scripsit:

> In the meantime, it appears there is a need for a standards body to be
> formed that pursues standards without encumbrances.  A standards body
> that the world community can rely upon for open, free standards.

In a world of submarine patents, there can be no such thing.  Any
patent can rise up to bite you at any time, even if you are just
a kid playing on your swing.

--
John Cowan  jcowan@reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan  www.reutershealth.com
"If I have seen farther than others, it is because I am surrounded by dwarves."