comment on current draft of W3C patent policy

From: Bryan <burnin@aros.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 16:53:15 -0700
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org

Dear W3C,

  I am writing you to voice my concerns over the current draft of the W3C
Royalty-Free Patent Policy. Specifically, I have reservations about Section 3
Item 3 which provides the patent holder with the ability to restrict use of the
Recommendations in their patent outside limited implementations.

  As a user of both free and proprietary software which relies on both patented
and non-patented standards I feel that it is necessary to avoid any
restrictions to the use of Recommendations within any patent that applies to a
W3C standard. Restrictions such as that mentioned in Section 3 Item 3 will only
serve to impede cooperation, innovation, and acceptance of proposed standards.
A standard should provide a benefit to the community as a whole whereas a
patented recommendation that is restricted in any way benefits the patent
holder and should not be considered as a standard.

  Any patented Recommendation submitted to the W3C should be available without
any restriction or it should be released as a non-standard feature by the
patent holder.

  In my opinion Item 3 of Section 3 should be struck from the W3C Royalty-Free
Patent Policy as it is written now.

Thank you for your time,
Bryan Nielsen