Comment on W3C Royalty-Free Patent Policy

From: Mike Strean <mstrean@ameritech.net>
Date: 31 Dec 2002 12:27:18 -0600
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org

We need "free" standards.
As a software developer, I am very concerned that the "field of use"
restrictions in the proposed W3C Royalty-Free Patent Policy will not
allow free software (GPL) implementations of some W3C standards.

I support the FSF's positions on the W3C Royalty-Free Patent Policy:

http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/w3c-patent.html

Please amend this policy to prohibit "field of use" restrictions on
patent claims contributed to W3C standards.

--
Mike Strean
http://www.ameritech.net/users/mstrean/index.html