Patent policy

From: Christophe Morvan <christophe.morvan@univ-mlv.fr>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 13:28:56 +0100
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org

Hello,

like many others I'd like to express my concern about the patent poilicy
that W3C is planning to choose.

It seems that a simple "royalty-free" policy might lead to the
impossibility for free software conforming to the GPL (General Public
Licence) to implement such standards (as their code might be intergated in
other pieces of software  that does not have the same "field of use").

For this reason I urge you to amend this policy in order to prohibit the
imposition of "field of use" restrictions on patent claims contributed to
W3C standards.

--
Christophe Morvan