Support for a Royalty-Free Patent Policy

From: Barak Pearlmutter <bap@cs.unm.edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 13:00:26 -0700
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org

It was with great pleasure that I read the "Royalty-Free Patent
Policy" Draft of 14-Nov-2002 proposed for W3C standards by the Patent
Policy Working Group,
http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-patent-policy-20021114/.  This is an
excellent idea, and would allow free software, tiny startups, and
large corporations to compete on an even playing field.  Reducing
artificial barriers to entry benefits users, programmers, the
Internet, and society in general.

As a principal on three US patents (5,612,533, 5,920,337, 6,262,760),
I support a royalty-free W3C standard patent policy, and look forward
to the adoption of the 14-Nov-2002 draft policy by W3C.
--
Barak A. Pearlmutter <bap@cs.unm.edu>
 Prof, Dept of Computer Science, University of New Mexico