Royalty-free approach

From: Jim Peters <jim@uazu.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 00:13:22 +0000
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org

I just want to give my support to the W3C's 'patent-royalty-free'
approach to standards.  It is the only sensible way forwards in my
view.  We really can't let big companies play games with us, not on
things that become our infrastructure.  Also, the internet owes so
much to free software and free software implementations of standards
that cutting out free software is like cutting off a limb and is
asking to create a two-tier internet, which at the end of the day is
bad news for the standards (because someone will end up reinventing
them in order to have a truly free version), and also bad for the
cooperative environment that we need to create the next step forwards
into the future.

Jim

--
 Jim Peters                  (_)/=\~/_(_)                 jim@uazu.net