Support for the Royalty-Free Patent Policy

From: Stephan Schulz <schulz@cs.miami.edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 17:22:14 -0500
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org

Dear Members of the W3C Patent Policy Working Group,

I am a Senior Researcher at the Technical University of Munich,
Germany, currently on leave and teaching as a Professor of Computer
Science at the University of Miami in Florida. My primary email
address is <schulz@informatik.tu-muenchen.de>, and my primary web page
is at http://www4.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/~schulz/.

I am very glad to hear that the latest policy draft requires a general
royalty free license for all patents necessary to implement a W3C
proposed standard. I strongly support this notion.

The success of the internet is based on the existance of free and open
standards, and, in many cases, free and open implementations. Even a
RAND arrangment for would seriously endanger the ability of small
companies and Free Software developers to support W3C standards, and
thus to maintain a healthy competitive climate.

I strongly encourage the W3C to only support open and freely
implementable standards in the future.

Yours sincerely,

                Dr. Stephan Schulz

                          It can be done!