Re: W3C BACK to "RAND" Exception?

From: Adam Warner <lists@consulting.net.nz>
Date: 10 Jul 2002 17:41:30 +1200
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
Cc: Seth Johnson <seth.johnson@realmeasures.dyndns.org>

Seth Johnson wrote in part:

> The important question has now become: who is encouraging
> the W3C and its PPWG to introduce these provisions.  Let
> these parties explain why they feel this move is of benefit
> to the W3C, and to the public at large.

> This is a question that cannot be addressed without such a
> disclosure and presentation on the part of those seeking to
> benefit from the institution of such a policy by a body such
> as the W3C.

Seth, Bruce Perens over at LWN confirms that he is forbidden from
revealing the names of the parties that are trying to introduce this
exception:

http://www.lwn.net/Articles/4404/

I agree that we will be better able to understand the motivations behind
these moves if the members making this proposal reveal themselves. And
more fundamentally we do not even have access to the proposal.

Regards,
Adam