Re: Patents and the environment

Hurray for you.  Finally, it has been said.
Conversion is the name for it.
The thefts are legislatures who listen to the ip lobbies.
the victums are the general public.
IP laws and worldwide IP treaties have made prisoners of the population of
the world.
The current downturn in the market is the direct result of the channeling
of innovation and creativity into the ip coral where the wild horses of
discovery can be broken and made to wear the briddle of bureacacy and the
rule of law to serve the wealthy IP owners.
   Ip is the chain of imprisonment, it makes kings of bureacrats and papers
of creative inventors, but wealth fedual lords of IP owners.
sterling

At 12:01 AM 1/3/02 -0800, Jacob Gorny wrote:

>>From what I have read of the patent policy discussion, the transformation of
>the internet by capitalism into a pay-for resource is tantmount to the slow
>evolution of the free environment into a cross-cut slope. An example of this
>in action is the matter of water. In many 3rd world countries, bottled water
>is a necessity of life. Even in european countries this is the case. While
>water may be a naturally clean resource, pollution of the industry in using
>this free-resource to the point of corrupting it has produced the problems
>we have now. Water costs money to treat, it costs to purify and package, and
>out it comes at $1.50 or 12 oz. of guaranteed clean water. The cost of large
>companies which use these once free resources is passed on to the general
>consumer who may not even be related to the industry which abuses their
>privileges with water. In the end, what should be a free resources now costs
>money to undo the corruption that has been released by the abuse of such a
>free resource by companies who are willing to exploit what is cheap in order
>to make a faster buck.
>
>Although the internet is a man-made product, the culture that has formed
>within it is arguably organic - it is an organism, NOT an organization.
>
>If you wish to control the cost of the organism, do so within your own scope
>and bounds... lookat AOL, which for many years restricted the use of FTP
>programs and other proxy-based programs... I left AOL quickly after finding
>out that I had to use their FTP and their news readers to view newsgroups.
>That kind of control is not worth the cost, no matter how "enhanced" the
>service may be. For a company to corrupt their own resources is fine -
>people pay for this... but to remove the free aspects of this will fragment
>the internet into pieces...
>
>Anyone who believes otherwise hasn't been following the most recent XML
>propaganda, in which Microsoft all-but-states that they have basically
>transformed the internet with XML.
>
>I have relied on the W3C for an honest approach to web authoring ever since
>I began in 1993. They have provided the simplest tools for free - the most
>basic standards for free - they have gone to bat against browser wars which
>fell prey to the the capitalist sandbox foible (i.e. to play in the sandbox,
>you have to follow the rules of who owns the sandbox)... Is IE a better
>browser? In their own eyes, will the answer ever be no? Is Mozzila the best
>browser? Maybe not, but they appeal to standards that are set by a larger
>community. They admit that the best judge of standards are those that exist
>within a conciliar context that is free to take into account all of the
>interested parties because it cannot stake any particular claim in any one
>of those technologies...
>
>I have always feared the day when the W3C patented their standards - and
>thus force Microsoft or any other arge comany to suddenly bow in obedience.

> [...]
Computer Aided Cell and Molecular Biology (CACMB), not medicine, will find
the cure for cancer and other diseases.  There will always be a need for
the trained clinician (MD/RN) but, advanced diagnostic and treatment option
selection has become gene based, has moved from the physician's practice to
the computerized cell and molecular biology laboratory, and appropriate
treatment options should now be based on the personal biology of the
patient.